Winter is a great time to visit museums, galleries, plays and cultural events. Get the kids involved in any number of creative activities, to excite, learn and inspire young minds.
Here is our round-up of the best art-related activities for kids in your state:
The Art Gallery of NSW has a range of activities for children of all ages, including:
- Art Club is a monthly art program designed for members children aged 9-12, next program, Printmaking: 2nd and 3rd of July.
- Tours for Tots: Contemporary Art section tours where your toddler can hear stories, play games and make their own art. For ages 3–5, with an adult. Next tour: Tuesday 28th June.
- The Studio- Workshops for Teenagers: Cartooning workshop with Phillip Einfeld. Learn to design and draw your own cartoon characters using professional techniques developed for animation. Saturday 13th August.
For more information and bookings visit the Art Gallery of NSW website
ArtPlay is the hottest spot in Melbourne to keep children entertained this winter. ArtPlay programs run during the week and on weekends, with budget friendly and free options.
- Kazoo Jam for budding 3 to 8 year old musos, plus Young Crooners for pre-teens to try some singing improvisation – both as part of the Melbourne International Jazz Festival.
- Little Big Shots, the celebrated International Film Festival for Kids
- Eight days of puppet madness at ArtPlay’s Puppet Lab
- ArtPlay Backyard Open Studio. Working with Melbourne architects and designers, kids will sketch, model and play with full scale prototypes as they create the perfect play space in an imaginary backyard
- The Book Factory is an interactive workshop that sees budding writers put pen to paper and produce their own book to share and take home
Visit ArtPlay for more details and a full schedule of what’s on.
Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) Stanley Place, South Bank, South Brisbane
Surrealism for Kids: Starting Saturday 11th June
Open your mind and step into the world of the surreal! During ‘Surrealism: The Poetry of Dreams’, the Children’s Art Centre presents Surrealism for Kids, featuring an exciting range of interactive activities inspired by games played by the surrealists.
Children will be able to engage with the surrealists through multimedia, drawing and making activities, capture their own surrealist vision of the world and discover how some of the most powerful and imaginative art of the twentieth century was created.
Visit the Our Brisbane Website for more information.
“Start” at the Art Gallery of SA, Held on the first Sunday of every month, the free START program includes art and craft activities, tours, trails, live music and entertainment.
Suitable for ages 5-10 years. Parent / carer supervision required.
“Wonderland” at the Art Gallery of WA. Explore different textures, build a 3D puzzle, discover secrets about colour and uncover the intriguing journey of an artwork.