If you’re thinking of a holiday that won’t break the bank, where the kids will have fun and meet people from all around the world – without leaving Australia – then you should think about YHA!
YHA has a network of over 90 places to stay all around Australia – everywhere from the beach to the bush to capital cities. Many YHAs are kid-friendly, with well-equipped family rooms, including en-suites in many properties. From Sydney Harbour YHA with its Opera House views, to the art deco heritage-listed Blue Mountains YHA and Stradbroke Island YHA with its onsite snorkel and diving centre, YHA is a great alternative for family travel.
All YHAs have self-catering kitchens so you don’t have to eat out three times a day, while some have cafes or restaurants onsite. Many have dedicated family rooms that can often sleep up to 5 people – perfect for young children and bigger families!
There are also large communal areas to hang out in, play games and meet other people from around the world.
Some of the top YHAs for family-friendly travel:
- Adelaide Central YHA: close to the action, and just a tram ride to the beach
- Airlie Beach YHA: large family rooms, ideal for an affordable getaway to the Whitsunday Islands
- Apollo Bay YHA: only a block from the beach, on the Great Ocean Road
- Brisbane City YHA: rooftop pool overlooking the Brisbane River, with a dedicated games room to keep the kids occupied
- Cairns Central YHA: swimming pool and spa, located just a short walk from Cairns Esplanade and ferry terminal
- Canberra City YHA: right in the heart of the city, easy walking or cycling distance to many of the free museums and galleries
- Cape Tribulation YHA: bungalows nestled amongst 7 acres of Daintree Rainforest with salt water pool and horse riding tours
- Port Elliot YHA: charming historic building overlooking the ocean on South Australia’s spectacular Fleurieu Peninsula
Family rooms range in price, depending on location and type of room, and start at around $100, up to around $200 per room. YHA members get discounts on accommodation and tours, and there’s free membership for children.