Adelaide mum of three young girls, Bianca Wordley, has taken the title of Escape Travel Family Holiday Reviewer, winning three major holidays for her family and the chance to share the experience with thousands of Australians.
At the Finale Event in Sydney, Bianca and the other finalists - L-R:Katrina Lee Chambers, Matthew Ross, Bronwyn Marquardt, Bianca Wordley, Julie Jajieh - waited nervously for the announcement of the winner by Escape's General Manager, Mark Hodgson.
Out & About with Kids' Elisa Elwin was on hand to congratulate Bianca on her win
As the Escape Travel Family Holiday Reviewer, Bianca and her family will be sent on one international and two domestic holidays to report back via the Family Escapes Magazine, Escape Travel Blog, Facebook page and Twitter account.
Escape Travel launched the competition to find a mum or dad blogger who would review family holidays in relatable, honest accounts - warts and all! - after their own research, polling more than 1000 Australian parents, revealed that families often experience ‘holiday envy’, with 32 per cent feeling that photos shared on social media of other family holidays were more ‘perfect’ and ‘enjoyable’ than their own.
Escape Travel national marketing manager, Emma Gilleland, said it was time to share some holiday reviews that everyday mums and dads could relate to. Bianca fit the bill with Escape looking for “... someone with a passion for travel and a knack for writing who is willing to share a real, honest and interesting account of their family holiday – hilarious moments, family tiffs and stressful situations included,” Mrs Gilleland said.
Following her win, Bianca is hoping her new role and connection with Australians will help change their perception of the "picture perfect‟ family holiday.
“Many Australian parents know the pressure of creating a "picture perfect‟ family holiday all too well and often the dream getaway can seem a distant reality,” she said.
“A time initially set aside for rest, reflection and re-building can soon become overwhelming as the bills pile as high as the expectations.”
The blogger, who beat hundreds of entrants to win the title, says family holidays can be simpler than most people think. “Families are focusing too much on getting stuff done and not enough time on just being with each other.
“Holidays are a gift; a time for strengthening bonds and getting to know each other without the noise of daily life… parents often forget the smallest and simplest elements of a family holiday can create the most incredible experiences.”
With Lily, Elsie and Hazel and her husband Brett, the Wordley family is ready to take on a big new adventure!
1. To regroup as a family. As a family of five, who runs two small businesses from home, our life rushes by in a blur of work, school and daily life commitments. Sometimes we lose sight of what‟s most important – our family. A holiday together gives us time away from the daily grind to reconnect.
2. To laugh more. We spend much of our time speeding by each other in the hallway. Stress takes over and we sometimes forget to be silly. Holidays are the best way to relax, be free and laugh. Big belly laughs straight from our soul. There‟s nothing quite like it.
3. To be spontaneous. Our life is one routine after another. There are school drop-offs, pick-ups, work deadlines, bedtime, bath time and mountains of washing. Holidays allow us to ditch the “rules”. We have ice cream for dinner, laze away in bed telling stories, swim all day and make sure the emphasis is on fun.
4. To have adventures together. Nothing beats that moment when you arrive in a new place and set out to explore it together. The kids‟ faces are alive with anticipation, their eyes twinkle and we tackle the thrilling uncertainty as a team. I want my girls to never be afraid to experience life – holidays teach them to explore.
5. To love more. Most importantly, a holiday gives us more time to love. Cuddles, hand holding, giggling and quiet moments watching the world pass on by. The gift of travel is a gift of love. And nothing beats love.