Star Wars fans can take control of the Millennium Falcon at Disneyland’s hottest new attraction
Get aboard the iconic Millennium Falcon at Disneyland Park in California!
“She may not look like much, but she’s got it where it counts”. Ever since Han Solo uttered the immortal line in the original 1977 Star Wars blockbuster, the Millennium Falcon has held a special place in the hearts of fans. Now, they can get behind the controls of the much-loved starship in the highly-anticipated new Star Wars-themed land at Disneyland Park in California. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opened in late May at a spectacular event attended by Star Wars icons including creator George Lucas and stars Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill. The largest and most technologically advanced single-themed land expansion ever in a Disney park, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge stretches across more than 5ha. Guests can explore the remote planet of Batuu, sampling galactic food and beverages and perusing eclectic merchant shops before stepping aboard Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run.
Get one-of-a-kind experience at Star Wars Galaxys Edge
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is set on a planet never before seen in the Star Wars universe to give everyone a chance to step into the story at their own level – whether they are a lifelong fan or have never seen a Star Wars film. The land was designed with sightlines that evoke cinematic angles. Guests begin with views of wide vistas, then as they explore deeper into the land, their field of vision narrows into tighter spaces – like zooming in for a close-up. In developing props and other décor for the land, Imagineers also tried wherever possible to use pre-1980 materials to best capture the look and feel of the first movie, Star Wars: A New Hope, which was released in 1977.
Following the events of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Chewbacca brings the Falcon to Black Spire Outpost for repairs at this spaceport, on the edge of the galaxy. In exchange for some much-needed replacement parts, Chewie loans the Falcon to smuggler Hondo Ohnaka. It is at this point that guests 96.5cm or taller enter the story of Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run and settle into the cockpit to operate “the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy”.
Spot iconic characters at Star Wars Galaxy's Edge
First Order Stormtroopers, who patrol Black Spire Outpost under the command of Supreme Leader Kylo Ren, may snap the occasional order at guests or question them about the presence of the Resistance on Batuu. Several times daily, Kylo Ren may appear at the First Order encampment at Docking Bay 9. With Stormtroopers in his wake, he will then march through Black Spire Outpost in search of the Resistance. Rey, a hero of the Resistance, may be seen near the ancient ruins outside Black Spire Outpost, where she is recruiting Batuuan locals and visitors alike to the cause. Loveable wookiee, Chewbacca, may also be spotted in Black Spire Outpost or just outside the Resistance encampment in the ancient ruins of Batuu, rounding up recruits.
At Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, use the Play Disney Parks app to get the most out of your visit
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge was the first Disney park to integrate the Play Disney Parks mobile application, where guests can choose to help a smuggler, join the Resistance or pledge allegiance to the First Order.
Guests can also take part in the climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance in Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. An almost identical Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will also open at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.
Must do experiences
- Take control of the Millennium Falcon as pilots, gunners or flight engineers on a mission to deliver smuggled goods
- Stroll the Black Spire Outpost marketplace, where vendors showcase wares from across the galaxy. Pick up authentic Batuuan attire, with a stop at Black Spire Outfitters; start a collection of rare artefacts at Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities; or peek into the cages in the Creature Stall
- Taste Blue Milk like Luke Skywalker drank in Star Wars IV: A New Hope
- Craft a Lightsaber at Savi’s Workshop
- Build a droid inside the Droid Depot – an interactive experience inspired, in part, by young Anakin Skywalker tinkering with C-3PO in Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace
- Enjoy a drink at Oga’s Cantina, where guests gather to share tales from around the galaxy as they enjoy exotic beverages and listen to spirited musical entertainment from DJ R-3X, the former droid pilot from Disneyland’s previous Star Tours attraction
- Scan the contents hidden inside containers, translate languages, and tune into communications happening throughout the land with the Play Disney Parks mobile app. Support either the Resistance or the First Order by hacking the blinking light panels next to doorways throughout Black Spire Outpost. The faction that controls the majority of these panels first wins the game and demonstrates their allegiance to their side’s cause. The conflict plays out multiple times each day
- Meet Supreme Leader Kylo Ren, Resistance fighter Rey, Millennium Falcon co-pilot Chewbacca and other Star Wars characters