A holiday to the Gold Coast ‘worlds’ is almost a rite-of-passage with Aussie families. But with so many attractions on offer, what’s the best way to tackle the parks? Tonya Ward offers ten tips to help your family get the most out of their adrenaline holiday.
1. Plan you visit using the theme park websites. www.myfun.com.au has an online personal itinerary planner, which will assemble your itinerary to Sea World, Warner Bros. Movie World, and Wet’n’Wild. While you’re there, measure the height of your kids and check to view the height requirements of rides.
2. Keep your eye out online for special deals and free entry to parks on your birthday. Also, the Gold Coast theme parks are owned by two different companies, both which offer great packages if you visit multiple parks within their group.
3. For an extra cost Dreamworld has introduced a Q4U device, a virtual queuing system that reserves your spot in line while you to do other activities. Book ahead.
4. Also, pre-purchasing tickets will get you express entry, avoiding the queues at the entrance.
5. The all-important question: what to pack? Take hats, sunscreen, fruit and bottles of water. The water theme parks encourage punters to bring along their own picnic food but in the other parks it’s a no-go; only fruit and water can be brought into these.
6. Once inside, designate a meeting spot in case anyone gets lost. Write your mobile phone number on the arm of any young child.
7. It’s smart to split up, especially if you have kids of different age groups.
8. If there’s a must-do attraction or ride in the park, tick it off your list first, to avoid disappointment.
9. Schedule in a show for some down-time. If you want good seats, turn up 15 minutes early.
10. And one for the young parents: strollers can be generally be rented for around $10 a day, so don’t stress about lugging your own around the park.